Long time trail and bicycle advocate, Carl Voss, officially receives his trail dedication
October 29th 2021 was the official Trail Dedication for the Carl Voss Trail.
Carl has been instrumental with making Des Moines bicycle-friendly for years and certainly this trail dedication certainly is warranted by years of service, advocacy, and friendship.
Ben Page said "That is the versatility, competitive drive and the persistence that Carl has" as he spoke about all the project and the Power of Carl to make Des Moines a better place."
These are just some of Carl's accomplishments over the years:
- He has lived in Des Moines since 1971
- Carl has ridden 42 of the 48 RAGBRAIs
- Co-hosted the first Bike to Work Day in 2003 with BIKEIOWA, then Bike Week, then Bike Month
- Worked on the World-class Lauridsen Skate-park project for 17 years which is now the largest skate-park in the USA
- Main person to get bike racks on all the MTA transit buses in Des Moines in 2005
- Co-founder of the Des Moines Bicycle Collective in 2008
- Initiated valet parking at the downtown Farmer's Market in 2009
- Created the first metro trail maps in 2010
- Organized Des Moines' B-Cycle program in 2010 with 4 stations and 18 bike and is now the nation's 5th largest program
- He has been an official RAGBRAI Pie Judge
- Listen to Video #1 for more!
Here are four videos to showcase the day! CONGRATS CARL !!!
Des Moines' Park and Recreation Director, Ben Page, introduces Carl Voss and then Des Moines City Council Member Joe Gatto talks about how the trail was developed, the number of users and how important this trail connector is.
Police Sergeant talks of Carl Voss' dedication to the city of Des Moines over the last 3 decades.
Carl Voss' acceptance speech and Ribbon Cutting
Ben Page talks about new Trail clean-up trailer program that Carl and friends developed.