1) It has rained a lot and dirt trails may be wet! Don't ride on them if you're leaving a mark. Most trail statuses are posted via social media. there are over 340 miles in 31 mountain bike trails in Iowa (filter by trail type)
2) There was some controversy on WHO'S RIDIN' -- Des Moines about some folks that (accidentally, we think) rode through fresh concrete.
3) With the State of Iowa being mostly re-open, so are many BIKEIOWA sponsors - including those on the Great Western Bike Trail - a 22 mile trail from Des Moines to Martensdale! Check out Outskirtz or The Chicken Orilla in Orilla or the Cumming Tap in Cumming this weekend. Also, Jethro's BBQ Southside (located on the site of the former Orlondo's) has a soft opening TODAY (Friday, May 29) at 4:00PM and will be open all weekend. Cyclists are welcome at the soft opening - and always. Stop in at any of these Great Western Trail establishments and tell them we sent you!
4) For almost two decades, our friends at Full Court Press have opened some of the coolest, bicycle friendly bars and restaurants in the Des Moines Metro. They are re-open at 50% capacity for dine-in, are offering curbside pickup and many have great patio seating. We're glad to be able to enjoy el Bait Shop, The Iowa Taproom, Royal Mile, Truman's Pizza Tavern, The Chicken Orilla, Hessen Haus, University Library Cafe, The Red Monk and Fong's Pizza again!
5) Bicycle racing has been sorely missed! Dangerous Dan from Team Love Shack says that the Sterile Iowan 100 or 200 is still happening this weekend and the 300 and 400 milers have already started. He's offered social distancing options and encourages people to show up, drop $40 in the pickle jar for registration (and all of which goes to support local trails) and ride Sterile Iowan #2ndBestGravelEventOnMay30th!
5.5) Also Phoenix Syndicate is offering race routes via Strava and prizes from local businesses. For May, we donated two $50 gift certificates as prizes.
And finally, it's still important to SOCIAL DISTANCE! Please only go out and about if you are healthy and feel safe! It's up to all of us to get through this pandemic together.
If you've got any ideas for future Friday Fives, send us a message or email Scott at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a great weekend, stay safe and stay healthy!