Pedal on over to the annual ‘Pedal Power’ event from1 to 3 pm on Sunday, May 21, 2023, at the Terry Trueblood Recreation Area, located at 579 McCollister Blvd! The event is free and no pre-registration is needed. Participants must have their own bike and helmet to participate. Children’s bike helmets will be available for purchase for only $12. Bikes of all shapes and sizes are welcome, including Strider bikes and training wheels! This year's event will include a live performance by The Negotiators. If you work up an appetite, Luna's Tacos of Iowa City will also be on site.
Why Bike Safety:
Bicycling is one of many wonderful ways for youth to experience an empowering sense of freedom while getting great exercise. However, it is not without its risks. This bicycle skills and family fun event is designed to teach bicyclists what they need to know in order to be safe and courteous riders on community roads and trails. Learning bike handling and traffic skills can help riders enjoy bicycling more and reduce the chance for injury.
What to expect:
Pedal Power participants will enjoy:
- Bike Safety Skills Course – Series of stations, each dealing with an important aspect of safe cycling. Participants will have their bicycles and helmets inspected and will learn about and practice bike-handling skills and road/trail etiquette.
- Strider Bike Skills Course
- Bike Decorating Station
- Off-road, trail riding with Geoff's Bike & Ski (weather and skill-level permitting)
- Information and Demo Booths from Iowa City Parks & Recreation, World of Bikes, Bicyclists of Iowa City, Iowa City Bike Library, Geoff's Bike and Ski, and other bike friend groups
- Children’s bike helmets will be available for purchase for only $12
- Participants who complete the bike safety skills course will receive a bike-related prize, including bike locks, pumps, lights and horns, oh my!
- Great tunes performed by Iowa City's own The Negotiators